Cultural appropriation happens more often than in should. And inappropriate use of a culture not your own happens even more often. Both of these practices are harmful, and in this episode I’m walking you through clear examples of both, and giving you practical guidance on how not to engage in them. In addition, you’ll walk away with practical guidance on how you as an individual and consumer can play a role in shutting down these practices as well.
- Hailey Beiber make trend rant – Shantal Smith
- The cultural appropriation of yoga – Blair Imani
- The Maasai People Take Back Their Brand
- Dia de los Muertos Barbie Walks a Fine Line Between Cultural Appropriation and Appreciation
- Kim Kardashian West’s Kimono underwear meets Japanese backlash
- How Disney redeemed itself with ‘Coco’ after the Dia de Muertos trademark fiasco
Access the full transcript of the episode here.
If you like the show, I’d love it if you’d subscribe to the channel and leave a rating interview for it. It really does help the show and helps others discover it. And wouldn’t it be great if there were more people practicing inclusion and making more people feel like they belong? I think so. Also, I want to hear from you. If you have a question, a comment on this episode, a previous episode or in general, or if you would just wanna say hi, I like those kinds of messages too. Send me a voicemail at inclusivemarketing.co/voicemail. That’s inclusive marketing.co/voicemail. I’d love to feature your question and comments on the show.
Until next time. Remember, everyone deserves to have a place where they belong. Let’s use our individual and collective power to ensure more people feel like they do.
Somebody’s waiting on you.
Thanks for listening.